Benign prostatic hyperplasia – called BPH,- is the most common prostate problem in men. Almost all men will develop some enlargement of the prostate as they grow older. By age 50 and over, 80% of men will have some signs of BPH by age 80. Although benign prostatic hyperplasia occurrence and symptoms increase with age, only 40% to 50% of men will develop symptoms that need to be treated. The prostate is located surrounding part of the urethra, so if the prostate becomes enlarged, it can stop urine or semen from passing through the urethra
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It is not cancer and it can’t spread and it does not raise your risk for prostate cancer. But both diseases may be found together in some people. Because the locations of BPH and prostate cancer are the same.
Common signs and symptoms of BPH include:
- Difficulty starting urination – Increased frequency of urination at night
- Weak urine stream – Urinary incontinence
- Inability to completely empty the bladder
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
Water Vapor Therapy for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
- Water Vapor Therapy is an efficient, safe, treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) because it uses only steam and the treatment process takes only 15 minutes.
- The steam device is inserted, a needle is deployed, and vapor is injected into the prostate for nine seconds.
- This vapor disperses between the prostate cells, releases heat, and gently disrupts the prostate’s cells. this process damages the cells causing obstruction, thus reducing the overall size of the prostate and the symptoms associated with BPH and the patients will be able to urinate better at 2-4 weeks after treatment.
What are the benefits of water vapor therapy treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
- Increased Safety, does not require general anesthesia (Just use sedatives and pain relievers)
- Procedure takes only 15 minutes
- Simple in-office/out-patient therapy
- Preserves sexual and urinary functions (Allows patients to return to regular activities within a few days)
Who is suitable for water vapor therapy
- For men over 50 years old with prostate size 30-80 grams
- Who was previously treated by medication but not improve
- Who has side effects of medication
- Who do not want to treated by medication in long term
- Who has significant health problems that time-consuming anesthesia and procedures should be avoided.
This treatment is not suitable for
- Patients with an artificial urethral sphincter
- Patients who have a penile prosthesis
- Patients who have an active urinary tract infection
This technology is supported by research and has been approved by the U.S. and THAILAND FDA for treatment of BPH. This ensures that it is a safe and effective minimally invasive treatment designed to relieve BPH symptoms in long. The Urology Surgery Center Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, we are the first hospital in the Eastern seaboard to offer Water Vapor Therapy for enlarged prostate. Our Urologist specialist team has experience in treating enlarged prostate from the beginning. including follow-up after procedure to ensure that patients receive the best treatment.